Backpacking v. Playing Video Games: Pros and Cons
I don’t know what to do this weekend. Some of my friends want me to go backpacking with them, but I’m kind of tired. Maybe I should just stay home, where it’s safe and dry and warm. I could sleep in and play video games and order pizza. But backpacking is also fun. What to do?
I know – I’ll make a list of pros and cons to organize my thoughts!
- Blisters. While backpacking, they sprout on your feet like pimples on the faces of teenagers.
- Sleeping on ground. It makes you realize how much it would suck to be homeless.
- Heavy Packs.
- Lots of work. Everything becomes more laborious while you’re on the trail: going to sleep, making food, getting water. This is how people lived 100 years ago, and it sucked.
- Blisters (on top of blisters.)
- Bad food.
- Pooping in a hole.
Staying In Pros
- Won’t Get Eaten By Bears.
- Can order pizza, Thai food etc. without leaving home.
- Don’t have to wear clothes.
- Video games/internet/movies etc.
- Don’t have to move from couch.
- Internet pornography.
Staying In Cons
- Makes you fat.
- Lassitude of your soul.
- Costs a lot of money – video games, ordering pizza etc.
- Enervation of your will to live.
- Good exercise.
- Doesn’t cost too much (once you have the gear.)
- Gives you good stories to tell at parties. (The I Almost Got Eaten by a Bear story kills every time.)
- Lets you feel like you’re not squandering the preciously limited amount of life the universe gives you.
- Spiritual salvation.
In the final tally, staying home has the edge on material comforts. Backpacking is like using a time machine to go back to a time before microwaves and flush toilets were invented. You enter a colder, less comfortable and frequently more wet world.
As for immaterial pleasures, backpacking wins in a rout. No one has ever had a spiritual experience on a living room couch.
Spiritual salvation + Exercise = Backpacking > Video Games
Plus, backpacking just makes you look cooler. In response to the What Did You Do Last Weekend question, what sounds better? I had a relaxing weekend playing video games. Or, I went backpacking, saw some cool shit, became one with nature and was almost eaten by bears. The choice is pretty clear.